Tuesday, October 26, 2010

rain all day yesterday and thru the night
[after a glorious weekend of sunny days and
afternoon front porch swinging!]

yet still nice and mild...in the mid sixties...
and so walking out my front door
I am met with the sweetest of smells
the lavender touched by the rain
DSC_0946
it releases its  fragrance
wafting and rising
awakening my sleepy morning senses

breathe deep
not only the luscious cappuccino of morning
but this day
lovely lavender

so thinking of my children lately

of all their little sayings
and hearing their little voices in my mind

"up please"
"nanight"
"ready a go"

probably because we have spent so much good time
with the two we can, lately
maybe because the far away ones feel so far away
not only because they are out of the country
but also out of skype range
   'on holiday'
and surely due to expectation...
...a fortnight
and the far away family will be waking up
in their little attic space!

and today's readings reflect my sentiments perfectly
         Blessed are you who fear the lord
              who walk in His ways!
         For you shall eat the fruit of you handiwork
              blessed shall you be, and favoured
        Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
               in the recesses of your home
        Your children like olive plants
               around your table!
                    Psalm 128

our children have revealed over the past few years
things they had heard as children
and did not understand until lately

one of those things
they heard in church
at the Eucharist
"take this, all of you..."

they always wondered what an 'ollovue' was?!?

since church was the only place they heard reference to this 'ollovue'
logically
the 'ollovue' was the host, the bread...communion

We've laughed about that recently
and I find it enchanting...

and when I saw the words of the psalmist
referring to children like olive plants
I couldn't help but see my little 'ollovue' plants
sitting around our table
little babies once again
with their baby words
and voices
and faces
and ways....

oh those baby days
gone in the blink of an eye

and now I hear my hubby, the 'pop'
speaking so protectively of his little grandson
hoping 'the family' gatherings
don't traumatize the poor little one
    gggessss....they traumatize us, grown women!!!
the poor little guy doesn't stand a chance!??!?

oh family...

3 comments:

Mike Igne said...

I'm not the only one that hears these crazy wordings. I feel I hear more of these as I get older even though I understand more they only make me more confused???

bernie said...

When my daughter was young I told her one day that she was wise beyond her years. A short time later I heard her proudly telling her father, "Mommy says I am wise behind my ears!"

No worries: the little bambino will be fine with the whole family. Children are amazingly resilient. And Italian blood does run in his veins!

S. Etole said...

I can feel the tenderness for your family in your words.