Wednesday, February 9, 2011

everyday faces

Wally and I had a conversation one day
about the life after

we decided one thing based on our own experiences 'here'
that made it pretty certain that 'there'
must be a fairly nice place...

everyone we know who has gone before us
has been happy to stay 'there'
we haven't experienced any hauntings
or 'returns from the dead'

and this place we live in now is full of people we love
that we're so attached to
and can't bare to part with
and wonderful places and things that hold us

they call it the will to live
I think it's more the will to love

it draws us near and holds us close

and yet
once we go
we stay gone

soooo to our logic
the life after must be a pretty good place
to hold us there...instead

we determined that even though we imagine
our loved ones looking down on the day to day
and seeing and watching us
that perhaps they don't...
because what they see might cause them distress
or frustration and helplessness

and then we thought
"or maybe not"
maybe they see with new eyes
and have perfect hope...
now, from the other side

they know everything is going to work out simply just fine
no matter what it may look like down here??!?!?

just a fleeting philosophy hypothesised one Tuesday morning

but today
somehow
in my day to day living and randomn thinking
as I drove to the grocery after dropping my hon off at work

I  noticed an electronic changing billboard
notre dame vs wvu
and the date
Tuesday, February 22

that means Do's birthday is that Monday
      his lovely V's (and my dear Darla's)
      was this past Monday
next Monday is St. Valentine's Day
and  more importantly Coco's Andy's birthday
yesterday was little Andrew's birthday
last Friday was the C monster's birthday

and the 28th would be Nancy's birthday
but she's been gone for 26 years now...


a wave of longing washed over me
and I wondered
all these new names and faces...
all the familiar faces that have grown older...
has she seen them?
does she know them?

it suddenly felt so important to me
that she did
I wanted her eye upon us
in our day to day lives

and instantly I became aware
of the warmth of the winter sun
on my left cheek
the only part of my face not covered
by the scarf wrapped around my face and neck
on this 14 degree February day

tears streamed from my eyes
and I knew
not only does she see
she wants me to know she sees
DSC_0544.JPG
she sees the silly faces created in our ordinary days
PB156721
she sees the new faces that have made her children grow into 'the grandparents'
DSC_0822.JPG
she sees "little one's" little ones
DSC_0068

DSC_0686.JPG

DSC_0731.JPG

DSC_0673.JPG

DSC_0633.JPG
she sees and knows those who were then yet unknown to us
DSC_0770.JPG
and those who are yet unknown to us...
DSC_0748.JPG

DSC_0792.JPG
she sees with what grace this family embraces 'family'
theirs
mine
and ours!
DSC_0567
so maybe it is all just in my mind's eye
that I imagine
loving eyes looking down and seeing
...no matter...

because
in my heart
in my very being
I know...

that we do not look at the things which are seen
but at the things which are not seen

for the things which are seen are temporary
but the things which are not seen are eternal
           1 Corinthians 4:18

I know
there is...
forgiveness of sin
and life everlasting

because
of the man
in the arms' of his mother...

who draws us ever closer to Himself
and the eternal life He gave us
DSC_0677.JPG

1 comment:

S. Etole said...

that last picture ... oh my goodness