Sunday, February 27, 2011

thanks and joy

the  view out every window of our home
is wall
the walls of the homes that surround us
our 'very close' neighborhood

we used to have expansive views
thru valleys
up mountainsides
trees into woods
sky
and green
garden
and living creatures
places to run and play and hide and build

I was tired of gardening
sore and achey from weeding
watering, raking, cleaning
I was ready for our move

and have gotten used to the noises that came with town
the light of night that obscures the stars

sometimes the setting of the sun
still colours the sky
and the moon still rises
above the rooflines

but it wasn't till I woke in the middle of the night
the other night
and found myself wide eyed
out the pushed aside lace window
gazing at a single star
that I realized

a star
has not been a part of our vernacular

there was a star visible from where I lay
from where I just happened to stare
as my eyes focused in the night

a star has found it's way to shine on me
and has awaken me in the night

it's poked its head over the walls
that house our neighbors
peeking out from around the eaves
that keep us dry
hanging just beyond the reach of the ever reaching tree

and thru the small puncture hole
it left in the darkness of night
a glimmer of heaven shone into me in my sleeping bed

it replaced my dream of beach and mount
with a grateful heart
for here
and now

gave me a glimpse of all I have

all I am

for lace of curtains
pushed aside by the baby's hand
as he climbed around on our bed at play
looking out from above
for the wooooooofs
who roam the secret garden by day

for flannel sheets
and sleep breathing warm beside me

for darkness that hides the glare of another day
a day without some thing
a day of waiting for something else
the days that cry for so much more

work
and garden
and place to play
blooms
and sunshine for where we walk and put our hands

but in that night the dream was reduced to less

and I believe it possible for our postage stamp yard
to hold it all
and dare I say
so much more
DSC_0517.JPG

No comments: