Friday, May 20, 2011

I always thought being a cat would be a fine life
sleeping in the sun
rubbing up against someone's leg
when you needed a little attention
not necessarily even your "master's" leg
catching a little mouse when feeling hungry
or to give as a gift when feeling generous
DSC_0981.JPG
so I'm driving this morning
and I see a little kitty sitting felionly regal upon a rock
in the little bit of sun we had today

by the time I get myself turned around and stopped
she's ready to prowl...
but she seemed particularly regal when seen
in the full context of her environment
DSC_0978.JPG
you would never have known
by looking at her prim and proper pose
as she sat  in the sun on a rock along the side of the road
as if in the middle of a pastoral field
that she was only feet from oncoming traffic
and  overlooking major interstate construction
DSC_0980.JPG
as a child
I used to have a recurring nightmare
I would be sitting on a little chair
in a pretty little party dress
and patent leather shoes
on a huge mountain of gravel or coal or cinder rock
and all around the mountain where I sat
enormous construction vehicles moved dirt and rocks about

my dream used to terrify me
but maybe I need to see it more like I see this little kitty

she's just calm cool and collected
doing what cats do best
peaceful even amid the noise and the haste
                         Max Ehrmann
                                       Desiderata

No comments: