Friday, June 3, 2011

there used to be a tree

0910 there goes the tree
there used to be a tree
tall and strong
arms reaching to the heavens

causing our bedroom to be like a treehouse

it grew gracefully in the corner
of the secret
otherworldly garden
just beyond our fence

and I cursed it daily

it was messy
dropping its life from above
into my neat and tidy world

filling our gutters
scratching our paint
tangling in the electrical lines
   
spring brought little green pollen balls
that stuck to everything

fall little annoying leaves
tracking in on everyones' feet

and even in winter
little sticks fell everywhere
clogging car parts
gutters
and drains

but in the summer
it brought shade

and the sound of praising birds
in the morning

and now it's gone

where once were strong arms
it is raw and  exposed

I can lay in bed now
and see the sky
see the stars

but it is a barren skyscape
harsh

I thought I would rejoice in the day
when all the mess
that caused me work
and made me mad
was gone

but maybe that's just what trees are about

I'm missing what was here

No comments: