Monday, August 24, 2015

DSC_0154
this morning I photographed the living room in the morning light
a premonition perhaps

after the day as I sat at the dining table
trying to eat
I picked up the camera that was next to me on the table
where I left it after this morning

and I photographed how the light comes in
at the end of the day
DSC_0158
and then I read this

"So many people today live in the night; a few live in the day. We all know about night and day, darkness and light. We know about it in our hearts; we know about it in our world. The peace that the world does not give is the light that dispels some of its darkness. Every bit of that peace makes the day come!
An old Hasidic tale summarizes much of what I have tried to say.
The rabbi asked his students:'How can we determine the hour of dawn, when the night ends and the day begins?'
One of the rabbi's students suggested: 'When from a distance you can distinguish between a dog and a sheep.'
'No,' was the answer of the rabbi.
'Is it when you can distinguish between a fig tree and a grapevine?' asked a second student.
'No,' the rabbi said.
'Please tell us the answer, then,' said the students.
'It is, then,' said the teacher, 'when you can look into the face of another human being and you have enough light in you to recognize your brother or your sister. Until then it is night, and darkness is still within us.'
Let us pray for the light. It is the peace the world cannot give." ‪#‎HenriNouwen‬ FINDING MY WAY HOME
www.henrinouwen.org

1 comment:

S. Etole said...

So good to find you here again.